Be Informed | Be Empowered | Be Supported
Frequently Asked Questions
Got a question?
What is Transformational Coaching?
Transformational coaching is the process of being supported by through a significant change that helps you grow, develop, and ultimately rethink your ‘hardwired’ thoughts, fears and behavioural patterns of the past, that are holding you back today. The underlying premise of transformational coaching is that you will examine everything that could be in service of that transformation. It includes a holistic examination of your life, such as your cultural identity, influencers, and messaging that may be a catalyst or hindrance to significant change. For example, removing fears and blockages to holding open-hearted and enriching death and dying conversations with family and friends.
What is a death and dying conversation?
An open-hearted conversation with family, friends, and individuals within your community on what is important to you when making decisions on your preferred personal health care and end-of-life care planning.
Early conversations can improve the delivery of culturally appropriate and person-centred care; ensuring your voice will be heard when it matters most, your wishes followed, and your loved ones protected from making gut-wrenching conversations at a time of trauma and grief.
“Talking about dying might be hard, but it won’t kill you. You might even find that your family is dying to talk.” dyingtotalk.org.au
How talking about death and dying can make you happy
Angela Fama: How talking about death can make you happy | TED Talk
Why is it important to normalise death and dying conversations with family and friends for an early age?
The reality of the human condition is that unforeseen accidents, physical and mental health challenges, and sudden death do not discriminate; and can happen to any individual from conception to the final breath.
Having open conversations about death and dying allows us to consider how we feel about different options for advance care planning and end-of-life care, how we would prefer to live our final days, and how we want our lives to be celebrated and remembered.
What is Advance Care Planning?
“Advance care planning is the process of planning for your future health care. It relates to healthcare you would or would not like to receive if you were to become seriously ill or injured and are unable to communicate your preferences or make decisions. This often relates to the care you receive at the end of your life.
Advance care planning gives you the opportunity to think about, discuss and record your preferences for the type of care you would receive and the outcomes you would consider acceptable. It helps to ensure your loved ones and doctors know what your health and personal preferences are and that these preferences are respected.” Advance Care Planning Australia
What is End-of-Life Care Planning?
It is care plan that helps you maintain control and ensure your voice will be heard as you, or a loved one, approaches their active dying stage. The goal is to prevent or relieve suffering as much as possible and to improve quality of life while respecting the Dying Person’s Bill of Rights. Generally speaking, you gain peace of mind and confidence that your physical comfort, mental and emotional needs, spiritual issues, and practical tasks will be in line with your values, ethics and personal preferences.
What are the Dying Persons Bill of Rights?
Click here to view
What is an End-of-Life Doula (EoLD)?
EMERGENCY (AUSTRALIA) 24/7
If you or someone you know are in an emergency situation CALL:
- 000 | Police, Ambulance, Fire
- 13 11 44 | LifeLine Australia
CRISIS HELP 24/7
- 1800RESPECT| 1800 737 732
- Beyond Blue | 1300 22 4636
- Brother to brother 24-hour crisis line | 1800 435 799
- Kids Helpline | 1800 55 1800
- Lifeline Australia | 13 11 14
- MensLine Australia | 1300 78 99 78
- Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling | 1800 011 046
- Qlife – anonymous and free LGBTI peer support | 1800 184 527 – (3PM-Midnight every day)
- Suicide Call Back Service | 1300 659 467
- The National Indigenous Postvention Service – After Suicide Support 24/7 | 1800 805 801
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders (ATSI)
Advanced Care Planning (YouTube)
- Love Is Not Enough – Advance Care Planning (Video)
- Advance Care Planning – Conversations (Video)
- Advance Care Planning – Substitute Decision Maker (Video)
Cultural and Linguistic Diversity (CALD) Support
- CALD Care Services – promoting the rights of people with disability
- 1800RESPECT | 1800 737 732 (CALD, migrant and refugee experiences of violence)
Death Literacy Organisations
Funeral Service Providers
Grief and Bereavement
- My Aged Care |1800 200 422
- Aged Care Commission Quality and Safety
- Department of Human Services | 132 717
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs | 1800 555 254
- People with disability – Services Australia
- Services Australia (previously known as Centrelink)
- Alzheimer’s Association
- Amputees & Families Support Group Queensland
- Cancer Council Australia
- Heart Foundation
- Kidney Health Australia
Law and Ethics
- Centre of Research Excellence
- End of Life Law in Australia
Mental Health Support
- Black Dog Institute
- Beyond Blue | 1300 22 4636
- Headspace National Youth
- WhiteCloud TeleMental Health (Queensland)
National Relay Service – As of April 2021, all users are required to register – here
Organ and Tissue Donation
- Dying to Talk
- Palliative Care Australia
- Palliative Care Queensland
- PalliAged – LGBTIQ+
- PalAssist – Palliative Care support and advice | 1800 772 273
- Pallichat – Free service for older people, and those who support them, across the Brisbane South Region | 07 3842 3433
Primary Health Network (PHN)
++ The above resource guide is a snapshot of a wide range of support services and resources Your PathwayCoach has utilised to source related and current information relating to generating death and dying conversations, advance care planning and services and support. YPC does not take any responsibility whatsoever for any errors, misinformation, views, opinions, data provided within any of the above resources. If there is a service or resource you cannot locate, or wish to suggest organisations to be added, please email [email protected]. ++
Let’s Start Talking – TODAY
VIA ONLINE, PHONE, IN-PERSON
There is no greater peace of mind than holding important conversations and having your preferences recorded many years before you ever need to use them. Services and packages are tailored to suit your current needs and requirements, and range from a one hour session to monthly on-going packages. Offered via on-line, telephone or in-person depending on your location.
“92% of deaths are expected – yet only 28% have actually had a conversation with loved ones about their end-of-life wishes” – GroundSwell Project
Your Pathways Coach